Shopping for the best bath towels in Singapore can be a complicated process. With an endless option of towels boasting their finest features, identifying the best one can be quite a challenge. You want your towel to feel soft and luxurious but what does ‘gram count’ really mean? And, how do you tell the difference between Turkish cotton and Egyptian cotton or pick from the wide choices of colours and patterns available on the rack?
Before you throw in the towel, here are some tips on how you can find the best cotton towels in Singapore.
1. Check the Fibre Content
100% cotton is the softest, most absorbent and what everyday towels are made of. On the other hand, Turkish cotton which is normally considered luxurious has longer fibres that make towels durable and soft. Popular in hotels and spas, Turkish cotton towels have longer and denser loops of thread that allow them to absorb moisture while retaining warmth.
Although these cotton towels are heavier and take longer to dry compared to regular towels, you are paying for towels that get softer and fluffier after each wash. Imagine being wrapped around the softest, comfiest, warm rug that also dries you off right after you shower, that's how it feels with the Turkish cotton towels. Another great option would be the cotton/polyester blend towels. Not only are they quick-drying, they are also just as durable but way cheaper compared to Turkish cotton towels.
2. Familiarise Yourself With Production Terminology
Towel lingo can be a little tricky, but here are some keywords to keep an eye out for.
- Combed cotton - cotton is brushed to remove short fibres and debris in between, producing softer and more durable cotton.
- Ring spun cotton - long and short fibres twisted tightly together to create a smoother, finer yarn, making a strong and smooth towel.
- Twist - cotton fibres that are spun (twisted) into yarn.
- Zero-twist - cotton fibres that are held together with a special wrapping thread, allowing them to be woven without breaking, resulting in a towel that is plush and absorbent.
- Hydrocotton, Microcotton, Aerocotton, etc - manufacturing processes (not to be confused with actual types of cotton) to help increase softness and absorbency.
3. Consider The Weight
The weight of a towel is measured in grams per square metre (GSM) and this number varies between 300 to 900. Generally, the higher the weight of the towel, the denser, and more absorbent and plush it will be. A 300 - 400 GSM towel is considered thin and lightweight, making it the ideal towel for the gym or as a hand towel as they dry quickly.
A 400-600 GSM is a medium-weight towel that’s great for the beach and can be used as an everyday bath towel. Finally, a 600-900 GSM is dense and absorbent, making the towel feel extra soft and luxurious but it might take up a little more drying time.
With these tips, we hope you get to buy the exact towel you are looking for, plush, absorbent, and soft. Do check out Kyndle’s range of 100% cotton bath towels in Singapore that are designed to be gentle on your skin. You can also opt for our thicker and fluffier towels under the Deluxe Towel series which are available in different colours.
For more information on our towels and other products, do contact our friendly experts who would be more than happy to help you out!